Friday, July 1, 2011

Five Minute Friday: Toss Unused Beauty Products

Sorry about the lapse in my Five Minute Friday series last week!  My vacation had me all out of whack, and I accidentally let three weeks go by instead of two!

Since I promised last week that I was going to get moving on the bathroom project, I needed to get started.  I wasn't quite in the mood to jump in head first, so I decided to play a little game with myself.  I'd give myself five minutes to toss out all the old beauty products I no longer use.  No organization, just elimination.

I have a very small bathroom, so I was actually able to get through ALL of my stuff in the five minutes.  If you have more cabinets (or you just have more things crammed into your cabinet than I did!), you might not be able to toss everything in five minutes that you would if you took twenty.  However, the point of this exercise is speed: a quick trim off the top.  The benefit of a time limit is that it doesn't allow you to dwell; if you don't use it, don't convince yourself that you will, just toss it!

Here's what I collected in my five minutes:





Most things I hadn't used since I moved a year and a half ago (some probably longer than that), so most of the products were probably past their expiration and should be tossed even if I did use them occasionally.  If you do this exercise and find a lot of recently purchased and unopened products, you could consider donating them or giving them to a friend who would enjoy them! (Just make sure she'll actually use them so you're not just moving your clutter to her house!)

This quick exercise was a great start to my next project.  It cleared out all the old junk, which left me to the actual organizing of the "good stuff" that remained.  Having that quick success actually motivated me to do a little more work on the project, so I'm already almost done!  Sometimes that first hurdle seems higher than it really is, and when you get over it, the rest of the way doesn't seem so bad. :-)

I hope everyone has a wonderful Fourth of July weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment